The city shall collect and dispose of refuse and recyclables within the city limits as a municipal function.
(a) It shall be the responsibility of every person in possession, charge or control of any dwelling unit from which refuse accumulates to reclaim and recycle from their refuse such materials as are designated from time to time by ordinance as recyclables, and to sort and prepare recyclables for collection by the sanitation division in the manner prescribed in such ordinance.
(b) It shall be the responsibility of the owner, operator and manager of each multiple dwelling unit facility which is not eligible for Type 1 service to have in place and effect at all times a written recycling plan, subject to the following requirements:
(1) The plan shall include the means by which recycling responsibilities and regulations are communicated to each tenant of the facility, and shall include appropriate instructions to tenants as to the locations and pick-up schedule as to the collection containers maintained at the facility for common use.
(2) The plan shall be updated as often as necessary in order to accurately reflect any changes in recycling regulations or in the collection and disposal practices in place at the facility.
(3) A copy of the recycling plan shall be provided to the facility tenants in the following manner: (i) a copy of the original plan and of any subsequent revisions thereto shall be provided to each tenant within ten (10) days of its approval by the city manager; and (ii) a copy of the current plan shall be provided to each new tenant at the time occupancy is established.
(4) All existing facilities shall submit and obtain approval by the city manager of such a plan on or by November 15, 1999.
(5) All new facilities shall submit and obtain approval by the city manager of such a plan prior to the opening of the facility to tenants.
(6) All facilities shall submit and obtain approval by the city manager of a revised plan within thirty (30) days of the effective date of any changes in the regulations applicable to recycling, and at such other times as shall be necessary to keep the information therein complete and accurate.
Collection of refuse and recyclables shall be as follows:
(a) Where Type 1 service is established, refuse and recyclables shall be collected and removed once each week.
(b) Where Type 2 service is established, refuse and recyclables shall be collected on an established frequency as determined by agreement between the customer and the city.
(c) Collection routes and the designated day of collection as to each dwelling unit shall be determined by the sanitation division and may be adjusted from time to time as deemed appropriate for efficiency or economy of operations.
It shall be the duty of every person in possession, charge or control of any place, premises, building or structure from which refuse or recyclables accumulates to keep or cause to be kept collection containers provided by the city for the collection and holding of such refuse and recyclables pursuant to the provisions of this chapter. Where Type 2 service is established, the customer shall have the option to provide collection containers conforming to city guidelines and standards thereto, or rent collection containers from the city.
(a) Type 1 service. It shall be the responsibility of the owner or occupant of each dwelling unit designated for Type 1 service to adhere to the following practices:
(1) To cause all refuse to be placed in collection containers in such a manner so as to secure it from the wind and to prevent the creation of litter either while such items are awaiting collection or during the collection process. To this end:
(i) All refuse not designated as recyclable shall be secured in a paper or plastic bag or other similar enclosure prior to being placed in the collection container; except that items of sufficient substance or weight so as not to be subject to being scattered by the wind need not be bagged.
(ii) Paper and cardboard recyclables shall be protected from the wind, such as by the stacking of collection containers (with the collection container with heavier recyclables being on top), or such as through the placement on top of the paper and cardboard recyclables of a heavier removable object (e.g., a brick) which is sufficient to keep all such items in the collection container until the same can be collected.
(2) To place the collection containers at the collection point not sooner than 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to scheduled collection, nor later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of scheduled collection, and to remove the collection containers to their normal storage location at a point behind the front building line within twenty-four (24) hours after collection.
(3) To maintain the collection containers in a serviceable and sanitary condition, which shall be used exclusively for the placement of approved refuse and recyclables for collection and disposal by the city.
(4) To remove or cause to be removed any refuse, recyclables or litter remaining at the collection point which is not collected because of any failure to adhere to the provisions of this chapter.
(b) Type 2 service. It shall be the responsibility of the common owner or management of multiple dwelling units designated for Type 2 service to adhere to the following practices:
(1) To establish, in consultation with the sanitation division, one or more collection points which are readily accessible to city collection vehicles.
(2) To maintain the collection containers in a serviceable and sanitary condition, which shall be used exclusively for the placement of approved refuse and recyclables for collection and disposal by the city.
(3) To remove or cause to be removed any refuse, recyclables or litter remaining at the collection point which is not collected because of any failure to adhere to the provisions of this chapter.
(Ord. 4322-99; Ord. 4668-08; Ord. 4697-09)
Fees for the collection and disposal of refuse and recyclables in the city shall be as follows:
(a) Type 1 Service.
(1) Curbside or Alley Collections. The monthly fee for each dwelling unit shall be as follows:
(A) For 2014, $21.51 per month;
(B) For 2015, $21.94 per month;
(C) For 2016, $22.38 per month;
(D) For 2017, $22.83 per month;
(E) For 2018 and subsequent years, $23.29 per month.
(2) Additional Containers. There shall be an additional monthly rental fee in the amount of $14.00 for each additional refuse or recycling container required by a customer.
(3) Walk-up Collections. Where it is the choice of the customer to have refuse collected adjacent to the dwelling, rather than at a collection point meting the requirements of this chapter, the base monthly fee shall be $35.00; unless, however, the city manager has waived the application of such an increased fee due to it being established to the city manager’s satisfaction that there is no regular resident of the dwelling unit who is not incapacitated by reason of age or infirmity sufficiently to make it unreasonably difficult to place the collection containers at the otherwise designated collection point for collection. Walk-up collection shall only be provided to the nearest line of the dwelling to the street or alley from which collection services are rendered, unless an alternative location is designated by the sanitation division.
(b) Type 2 Service.
(1) Base Monthly Fee. The city manager is hereby authorized to maintain, and to change from time to time as deemed necessary, a base monthly fee for type 2 service which shall be determined for each facility based upon such factors as the number and sizes of collection containers and the frequency of collection required, as well as such other factors as determined by the city manager to impact the costs of providing such collection services; provided, however, that the base monthly fee shall not exceed an amount equal to the number of dwelling units within the facility multiplied by the base monthly fee applicable to type 1 service multiplied by the number of collections provided to the facility per week.
(2) Collection Container Rental Rates. Customers receiving type 2 service may rent collection containers from the city at the following rates:
(Ord. 4322-99; Ord. 4438-03; Ord. 4644-07; Ord. 4789-11; Ord. 4804-12; Ord. 4837-13; Ord. 4852-14)