It shall be unlawful for any person to maintain or permit any nuisance within the city as defined, without limitation, as follows:

(a)   Filth, excrement, lumber, rocks, dirt, cans, paper, trash, metal or any other offensive or disagreeable thing or substance thrown or left or deposited upon any street, avenue, alley, sidewalk, park, public or private enclosure or lot whether vacant or occupied;

(b)   All dead animals not removed or properly disposed of within 24 hours after death;

(c)   Any place or structure or substance which emits or causes any offensive, disagreeable or nauseous odors;

(d)   All stagnant ponds or pools of water;

(e)   All grass or weeds or other unsightly vegetation not usually cultivated or grown for domestic use or to be marketed or for ornamental purposes;

(f)   Abandoned iceboxes or refrigerators kept on the premises under the control of any person, or deposited on the sanitary landfill, or any icebox or refrigerator not in actual use unless the door, opening or lid thereof is unhinged, or unfastened and removed therefrom;

(g)   All articles or things whatsoever caused, kept, maintained or permitted by any person to the injury, annoyance or inconvenience of the public or of any neighborhood;

(h)   Any fence, structure, thing or substance placed upon or being upon any street, sidewalk, alley or public ground so as to obstruct the same, except as permitted by the laws of the city;

(i)    The burial on any public or private property within the city of (i) any human remains or (ii) the remains of any animal larger than a domestic dog or cat; or the leaving or scattering of the ashes of any cremated human or animal remains except upon private property with the permission of the owner thereof; provided, however, that the foregoing shall not apply to the due and proper burial or disposition of remains within a properly zoned and operated cemetery in conformance with the rules and regulations applicable thereto.

(K.S.A. 21-4106:4107; Code 1998; Ord. 4330-99)

The public officer shall make inquiry and inspection of premises upon receiving a complaint or complaints in writing signed by two or more persons stating that a nuisance exists and describing the same and where located or is informed that a nuisance may exist by the board of health, chief of police or the fire chief. The public officer may make such inquiry and inspection when he or she observes conditions which appear to constitute a nuisance. Upon making any inquiry and inspection the public officer shall make a written report of findings.

(Code 1988)

It shall be a violation of this code to deny the public officer the right of access and entry upon private property at any reasonable time for the purpose of making inquiry and inspection to determine if a nuisance exists.

(Code 1988)

Any person found by the public officer to be in violation of section 11-201 shall be served a notice of such violation. The notice shall be served by restricted mail, postage prepaid, return receipt requested; provided, that if the owner or his or her agent in charge of the property is a resident of Harvey County, the notice shall be personally served by the public officer or a law enforcement officer.

(K.S.A. 12-1617e; Code 1988)

The notice shall state the condition(s) which is (are) in violation of section 11-201. The notice shall also inform the person that:

(a)   He, she or they shall have 10 days from the date of serving the notice to abate the condition(s) in violation of section 11-201; or

(b)   He, she or they have 10 days from the date of serving the notice to request a hearing before the governing body or its designated representative of the matter as provided by section 11-208;

(c)   Failure to abate the condition(s) or to request a hearing within the time allowed may result in prosecution as provided by section 11-206 and/or abatement of the condition(s) by the city as provided by section 11-207.

(Code 1988)

Should the person fail to comply with the notice to abate the nuisance or request a hearing the public officer may file a complaint in the municipal court of the city against such person and upon conviction of any violation of provisions of section 11-201, be fined in an amount not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not to exceed 30 days or be both fined and imprisoned. Each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues after notice has been served shall constitute an additional or separate offense.

(Code 1988)

In addition to, or as an alternative to prosecution as provided in section 11-206, the public officer may seek to remedy violations of this section in the following manner. If a person to whom a notice has been sent pursuant to section 11-204 has neither alleviated the conditions causing the alleged violation nor requested a hearing before the governing body or its designated representative within the time periods specified in section 11-205, the public officer may present a resolution to the governing body for adoption authorizing the public officer or other agents of the city to abate the conditions causing the violation at the end of 10 days after passage of the resolution. The resolution shall further provide that the costs incurred by the city shall be charged against the lot or parcel of ground on which the nuisance was located as provided in section 11-209. A copy of the resolution shall be served upon the person in violation in one of the following ways:

(a)   Personal service upon the person in violation;

(b)   Service by restricted mail, postage prepaid, return receipt requested; or

(c)   In the event the whereabouts of such person are unknown and the same cannot be ascertained in the exercise of reasonable diligence, an affidavit to that effect shall be made by the public officer and filed with the city clerk, and the serving of the resolution shall be made by publishing the same once each week for two consecutive weeks in the official city newspaper and by posting a copy of the resolution on the premises where such condition exists.

(Code 1988)

If a hearing is requested within the 10 day period as provided in section 11-205, such request shall be made in writing to the governing body or its designated representative. Failure to make a timely request for a hearing shall constitute a waiver of the person’s right to contest the findings of the public officer before the governing body or its designated representative. The hearing shall be held by the governing body as soon as possible after the filing of the request therefore, and the person shall be advised by the city of the time and place of the hearing at least five days in advance thereof. At any such hearing, the person may be represented by counsel, and the person and the city may introduce such witnesses and evidence as is deemed necessary and proper by the governing body or its designated representative. The hearing need not be conducted according to the formal rules of evidence. Upon conclusion of the hearing, the governing body or its designated representative shall record its determination of the matter by means of adopting a resolution and serving the resolution upon the person in the matter provided in section 11-207.

(Code 1988)

If the city abates the nuisance pursuant to section 11-207, the cost of abatement shall be charged against the lot or parcel of ground on which the nuisance was located the city clerk shall, at the time of certifying other taxes to the county clerk, certify the cots as provided in this section. The county clerk shall extend the same on the tax roll and it shall be collected by the county treasurer and paid to the city as other city taxes are collected and paid.

(Code 1988)

Regulation and control of construction of outdoor toilets shall be as follows:

(a)   Outdoor Toilets. It shall be unlawful to construct or cause to be constructed in the city any privy or outdoor toilet where accessible sanitary mains or laterals have been or may hereafter be constructed. Where sanitary mains or laterals are not accessible, any privy or outdoor toilet shall only be constructed according to plans and specifications on file on the office of the public health sanitarian; provided, that any replacement of any privy or outdoor toilet theretofore constructed and in use in the city shall be built and constructed as herein directed.

(b)   Plans, Specifications. Plans and specifications for the construction of sanitary privies or outdoor toilets shall be approved by the public health sanitarian and shall meet standards set forth by the Kansas State Board of Health.

(c)   Applications, Records. A copy of such plans and specifications shall be furnished by the public heath sanitarian to those having occasion to use the same and such office shall maintain full and complete records showing who as applied for copies of such plans and specifications or privies or outdoor toilets which records shall show the premises upon which such applicant proposes to construct such privy or outdoor toilet and the record owner of the premises.

(d)   Temporary Toilets for Construction Sites. A temporary outdoor toilet or privy meeting the standards of the Kansas State Board of Health, shall be provided for the workers at all construction sites, during construction, or in lieu thereof written evidence shall be filed with the building inspector showing permission for such workers to use regular toilet facilities in an adjoining structure.

(Ord. 2946, Sec. 1)