There is hereby created the Newton Substance Abuse Board with the duties and powers as set forth herein. The Newton Substance Abuse Board shall constitute a body corporate and politic possessing equal powers of a corporation for public purposes under the name and style of The Newton Substance Abuse Board. The following provisions shall apply to such board:
(a) The board shall originally consist of five members appointed by the mayor and conformed by a majority of the city commission. Initially their terms shall be as follows: One member appointed for a term ending April 30, 1985; two members for terms ending April 30, 1986; and two members for terms ending April 30, 1987. Two additional members shall be appointed by the mayor and confirmed by a majority of the city commission whose terms shall begin effective May 1, 1987. Two additional members shall be appointed by the mayor and confirmed by a majority of the city commission whose terms shall begin effective May 1, 1987, for initial terms of one year each. Thereafter, the successors of each of the original seven members shall be appointed for terms of three years each and shall serve until their successors are appointed and qualified for office. Any vacancies in the membership of the board will be filled by the appointment of a member as in the case of the original appointment for the unexpired term of a member whose office shall be vacant.
(b) The board shall elect from its members a chairperson and one vice chairperson for a term of one year each.
(c) The board shall hold regular meetings at a time and place as established by the board, all subject to the approval of the governing body. All regular meetings shall be open to the public.
(d) No member of the Newton Substance Abuse Board shall receive any compensation whatever for his or her service as a member of that board.
(e) The board shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To engage in projects and activities that relate to the control, prevention and reduction of substance abuse in the city and in Harvey County and to administer in all respects the business and affairs of the board in carrying out such projects and activities.
(2) To purchase equipment and supplies necessary to carry out the projects and activities of the board.
(3) To employ a staff person or persons to assist the board in its work and in the control, prevention and reduction of substance abuse and such other employees as the board shall deem necessary and to remove them and to fix their compensation.
(4) To receive, accept and administer any money or any other property appropriated to it by the city or from any gift or donation. In no case, however, shall the board own any real estate in its name without the permission of the governing body.
(5) To determine the place or places from which the board or any employees of such board shall conduct the operations or activities approved by the board.
(6) To make recommendations to the governing body concerning the control, prevention and reduction of substance abuse in the city.
(7) To prepare an annual budget and program of activities and submit the same to the governing body for its final determination and approval.
(8) To have prepared an annual report on and an audit of its activities which shall be presented to the governing body and which shall be prepared in the necessary detail as required by the director of finance or the auditors of the city.
(9) Report to the governing body at such other times as may be requested by the governing body.
(f) The board created herein shall not engage in any programs or activities or expend any monies for any purpose until such programs, activities and an annual budget have been approved by the governing body.
(Ord. 38363, Sec. 1)